Now more than ever before, musicians and artists are taking a DIY approach to creating, releasing and exploiting their music. Some are self-releasing now with hopes of securing a future record deal, but others see it as a long-term strategy for their careers. Either way, if you are planning to release your own music then it’s vital you understand some fundamentals about the way the music industry works and how your music can generate revenue.
18.30 – Doors Open
18.45 – 19.10 – The Ivors Academy
In this session, Kevin Sargent (media composer and Academy Member of The Ivors Academy) will explain what The Ivors Academy is, and how joining it can promote and protect your rights as a music creator. Topics covered:
• A brief introduction to The Ivors Academy
• The direct and indirect benefits of membership (or how to get to know your way around the industry)
19.15 – 20.15 – Mind Your Own Business
In this session, The Musicians’ Union will explain how record labels and music publishers make their money and how independent artists can do the same. Topics covered:
• Copyright law and protecting your work
• The difference between Master Rights and Publishing Rights (PRS, MCPS and PPL)
• The business models behind record labels and music publishers (and how that applies to you)
• Artists agreements and performers’ permissions you need to secure before you can release
20.15 – 20.30 – Break
20.30 – 21.30 – How To Get the Most from PRS Membership
In this session, PRS for Music will take you through the practicalities of self service using the PRSfM website. Topics covered:
• How to register or amend works
• How to search the PRSfM works database
• How to report performance usage
• How to claim unpaid royalties
This evening will conclude with networking drinks.
Attendance to this event is free, but numbers are limited so it’s essential you book a space here if you wish to come along.
If you have any questions or specific access requirements, please email PRS for Music at email@example.com.