Focus, grow and thrive in music with the help of a mentor
Co-Pilot: the Musicians’ Mentoring Network supports music creators with their development by pairing them with an experienced industry mentor.
Navigating the music business, as well as the creative, logistical, financial, and emotional pressures that come with being a music creator, can make sustaining a career in the industry incredibly challenging.
Co-Pilot empowers music creators to take the next step in their careers by matching them with an experienced professional from the world of music, who can share their skills, knowledge, and expertise to help talented creators focus, grow and thrive.
- Can you help a musician to reach their full potential?
- Can you encourage and inspire a musician to take the next steps in their career?
- Can you use your expert knowledge and lived experience of the music industry to support a musicians’ creative and professional development?
- Can you listen, provide guidance and offer constructive feedback in an open, honest and diplomatic way?
- Can you commit to a mentoring relationship with enthusiasm and a willingness to learn, share your skills, knowledge, and expertise?
If this sounds like you, then you could be a mentor.
JOIN AS A MENTOR
What are the benefits?
- Songwriter and composer mentors receive a free professional membership to The Ivors Academy for the duration of the programme
- A new learning experience and the opportunity to share knowledge with music
creators and performers.
- A sense of fulfilment and personal growth through ‘giving back’ to individual
peers and a wider community of music creators.
- An opportunity to gain skills and training in mentoring through an online package
of resources (digital guidebook and mentoring videos, Welcome Webinar, expert
practitioner webinar and regular peer-to-peer support sessions).
- An opportunity to reinforce your own skillset and knowledge of your subject(s).
Improved communication, leadership and management skills.
- Engagement with ‘new voices’/next generation music creators and performers at
formative stages of their careers.
- Friendship, rapport and a shared sense of purpose.
- Developing techniques for being a more effective mentor (how to listen, ask
questions and exercise patience).
- Expanded career development possibilities.
- Increased confidence and motivation.
- Expanding and cultivating your networks.
To be a mentor you must be able to commit to:
- Providing eight hours of one-to-one mentoring across a six-month
period with your mentee via phone calls or video conferencing.
- Completing a compulsory online induction by reading a digital
guidebook and watching five mentoring videos (total duration of videos is 45mins).
- Attending a compulsory one-hour Welcome Webinar
- Engaging with a range of voluntary activities provided to support your
mentoring journey, including an expert practitioner webinar, and peer-to-peer support sessions.
- Taking part in the evaluation of the mentoring process through the
completion of two online surveys (mid-point and end of mentoring
Download the full guidance document including programme schedule
Still unsure? Come along to the Mentoring Q&A meeting to hear from previous participants on Thursday 16th September from 5pm – 6pm. Register here.
Ready to join the network? Apply now
Deadline for Mentor Applications: 1st October 2021
For questions please email Membership Manager Nicky Carder at email@example.com
JOIN AS A MENTEE
Mentee applications for Co-Pilot are open now (members can apply here) Deadline: 15th October 2021.
If you are not yet a member of The Ivors Academy and wish to apply, you can join today. We want to ensure that membership is accessible to all songwriters and composers, if there is a financial barrier preventing you from joining, we ask you to consider applying for a membership bursary.
STORIES FROM 2020 MENTORS
Hear from some of the mentors of the network to find out what impact the experience had on them:
Simon Rix: Ivors Academy professional member, songwriter and bassist of the Kaiser Chiefs
Fabiola Morales: musician, singer and music industry professional