Focus, grow and thrive in music with the help of a mentor
Co-Pilot: the Musicians’ Mentoring Network supports music creators with their development by pairing them with an experienced industry mentor.
Navigating the music business, as well as the creative, logistical, financial, and emotional pressures that come with being a music creator, can make sustaining a career in the industry incredibly challenging.
Co-Pilot empowers music creators to take the next step in their careers by matching them with an experienced professional from the world of music, who can share their skills, knowledge, and expertise to help talented creators focus, grow and thrive.
JOIN AS A MENTOR
- Can you help a musician to reach their full potential?
- Can you encourage and inspire a musician to take the next steps in their career?
- Can you use your expert knowledge and lived experience of the music industry to support a musicians’ creative and professional development?
- Can you listen, provide guidance and offer constructive feedback in an open, honest and diplomatic way?
- Can you commit to a mentoring relationship with enthusiasm and a willingness to learn, share your skills, knowledge, and expertise?
If this sounds like you, then you could be a mentor.
What are the benefits?
- Songwriter and composer mentors receive a free annual professional membership to The Ivors Academy for the duration of the programme
- A new learning experience and the opportunity to share knowledge with music
creators and performers.
- A sense of fulfilment and personal growth through ‘giving back’ to individual
peers and a wider community of music creators.
- An opportunity to gain skills and training in mentoring through an online package
of resources (digital guidebook and mentoring videos, Welcome Webinar, expert
practitioner webinar and regular peer-to-peer support sessions).
- An opportunity to reinforce your own skillset and knowledge of your subject(s).
Improved communication, leadership and management skills.
- Engagement with ‘new voices’/next generation music creators and performers at
formative stages of their careers.
- Friendship, rapport and a shared sense of purpose.
- Developing techniques for being a more effective mentor (how to listen, ask
questions and exercise patience).
- Expanded career development possibilities.
- Increased confidence and motivation.
- Expanding and cultivating your networks.
To be a mentor you must be able to commit to:
- Checking and updating your profile on the online mentoring platform MentorNet and using this platform throughout the process to communicate with your mentee and with the Co-Pilot project manager.
- Completing the compulsory online induction by reading the digital guidebook and watching the five mentoring videos. This must be done before the mentoring relationship begins.
- Attending a compulsory one-hour Welcome Webinar.
- Providing eight hours of one-to-one mentoring across a six-month period with your mentee via phone calls or video conferencing. Mentors are welcome to take on more than one mentee if they have the capacity, but they must offer eight hours of mentoring per mentee across the six-month period.
- Engaging with a range of voluntary activities provided to support your mentoring journey, including an expert practitioner webinar, and peer-to peer support sessions.
- Taking part in the evaluation of the mentoring process through the completion of two online surveys (mid-point and end of mentoring relationship). There will be voluntary options to be involved in additional evaluation interviews and case studies.
Deadline: 3rd May 2022 at 5pm
JOIN AS A MENTEE
Applications for mentees are not currently open but you can register interest by joining the mentoring mailing list as a mentee.
If you are not yet a member of The Ivors Academy and wish to get involved in the Ivors Academy’s activities, you can join today. We want to ensure that membership is accessible to all songwriters and composers, if there is a financial barrier preventing you from joining, we ask you to consider applying for a membership bursary.
Co-Pilot: the Musicians’ Mentoring Network is delivered by Help Musicians. The founding professional association partner is The Ivors Academy, with support from The Ivors Academy Trust. The founding record company partner is Universal Music Group.
STORIES FROM 2020 MENTORS AND MENTEES
Hear from some of the participants of the network to find out what impact the experience had on them:
Simon Rix: Ivors Academy professional member, songwriter and bassist of the Kaiser Chiefs
RéY: rapper and producer
Fabiola Morales: musician, singer and music industry professional
For questions please email Membership Manager Tareic Alphonse at firstname.lastname@example.org