Inside Track provides an opportunity for four participants, over the course of 12 months, to work with Cassell the Beatmaker, the In The Making team, PPL and The Ivors Academy to:
- Write and produce two tracks with Cassell the Beatmaker
- Participate in training workshops and mentoring
- Receive a promotional opportunity to elevate profile and showcase work through a live performance
Participants will receive direct experience of the music industry across production, songwriting, image and brand development, business planning and industry networking. Inside Track includes a live performance event for the creators to showcase their work and celebrate their accomplishments.
To be eligible to apply for Inside Track, you should:
- Be a performing songwriter or composer (solo artists only)
- Live in the UK or Ireland (recording takes place in Greater London Areas. Travel and accommodation bursaries area available)
- Be aged 18 + (there is no upper age limit for applications)
- Be a member of The Ivors Academy (bursaries can be applied for at the point the programme application is made for those with a financial barrier)
- Not have completed a project with In the Making CIC previously
- Not have financial investment from a manager, publisher or record label or other industry partners
- Not be tied into an exclusive publishing contract
- Be in financial need and without access to savings above £5,000
- Not in receipt of funding of creative or career development grants (not including hardship grants) from organisations such as PRS Foundation, Arts Council England, Creative Scotland, Help Musicians, Arts Council of Northern Ireland, Arts Council of Wales and other funding sources
- Belong to an underrepresented group and/or can demonstrate significant barriers to accessing the music industry. Barriers may relate to lack of access to education, caring responsibilities or geographical location
HOW DO I APPLY?
To apply you must first become a member of The Ivors Academy.
If you would like to join but cannot afford the membership fee, you can access a membership bursary.
Once you have joined or your bursary application is approved, you will receive a welcome email with your membership number which you will need to include on your application.
WHEN IS THE DEADLINE?
The deadline for applications is the end of Friday 3rd September 2021.
HOW WILL MY APPLICATION BE JUDGED?
The applications will be judged according to three criteria:
- The strength of your songwriting and performance
Please note, a polished recording is not expected – a rough demo is enough for the panel to determine your potential. Phone audio and/or video recordings can also be submitted providing the sound quality is clear. If you are concerned about your ability to record your songs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- The compelling reason you provide as to why you feel this programme could break down the barriers you face when trying to access the music industry
- Your ambitions for the future and why you think this opportunity could be beneficial to your career now
Please note – there is no specific genre requirement. You must perform your own works as a solo artist.
HOW DOES THE JUDGING PROCESS WORK?
After the application deadline The Ivors Academy team will process the submissions to ensure all entries meet the eligibility criteria.
A judging panel will then receive a link to review them in advance of a judging session. At this session the judging panel will shortlist 8 music creators who will then be interviewed by Cassell the Beatmaker, before he selects final 4 participants.
The final 4 participants will be informed if they have been successful by 20th October.
If judges have an existing relationship with an applicant, this must be declared to the judging panel during the selection process to ensure a balance of opinions are considered when reviewing that specific application.
Judges will be asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement and will not make information about applicants or recordings of their work public. The identity of the final participants will be kept confidential until results are publicly announced.
WHAT IF I AM UNSUCESSFUL?
Due to the very limited number of places available on the programme, The Ivors Academy would like to ensure applicants are aware of the other career development opportunities offered by The Ivors Academy.
These include access to networking events, mentoring and submissions for The Ivors including the Rising Star Award. For questions on how to make the most of your membership, please email email@example.com.
WHO ARE IN THE MAKING, PPL, THE IVORS ACADEMY AND THE IVORS ACADEMY TRUST?
In the Making is a community interest company which advances the progression of aspiring musicians and recording artists from economically, socially and/or rurally disadvantaged backgrounds in the UK.
PPL is the UK’s music licensing company for over 120,000 performers and recording rightsholders.
The Ivors Academy is the UK’s independent professional association for music creators. The Academy represents and champions a diverse, talented community of songwriters and composers, and is known internationally for The Ivors.
The Ivors Academy Trust empowers and inspires music creators to start and build their careers, develop their craft and reach their full potential. We’re here for all songwriters and composers because your ambition should be limitless.