2020-2022 Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan
The Ivors Academy is proudly creator-run with a large Board, Committees and Working Groups, supported by a small executive team. The Academy campaigns, celebrates and cultivates music creators. To do this effectively, the organisation must operate with fairness and integrity at all times to ensure that all creators regardless of ability and background are able to join and participate in our work.
This twelve-point Action Plan sets out our goals to champion equality, diversity and inclusion at the Academy and across our work. We seek and welcome feedback from the community on the goals and targets and will keep them under review.
If you would like to find out more about our work in this area, or provide feedback and comments on what the Academy is doing and planning, please contact Wesley John, Equality Diversity and Inclusion Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. By the end of 2020 to have established internship opportunities toward increasing diverse representation in middle and senior positions across the music industry.
2. By the end of 2020 to have commenced structured collation of Equal Opportunities personal data for all members and participants in our awards and activities.
3. By end of 2020 publish available data about pay of the organisation based on gender.
4. By the end of 2021 to have completed research from at least one creator perspective.
5. By the end of 2021 to have reviewed staff recruitment and development policies from an EDI perspective and provided diversity training for all staff, Board Directors and Committee members.
6. By the end of 2021 for the Academy Board and Committees to have achieved a minimum 50% gender balance, 30% Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic representation, 10% creators with disabilities, involvement of a minimum of one person aged under 25 and avoidance of London-centric representation.
7. From 2020 we pledge not to hold panel events or hold working groups where all participants are white and male and will aim for the greatest range of voices and perspectives possible.
The Ivors Academy presents the most prestigious awards to songwriters and composers. An Ivor Novello Award is a unique peer-to-peer recognition of excellence and creativity in songwriting and composition. Our awards provide a platform that deliberately draws attention to music and music creators that should be listened to. It is vital that the awards are a true reflection of the best music each year within the award criteria.
8. By the end of 2020 to have completed a review of the entry criteria for the awards, and where possible implemented findings, which can remove barriers to the goals of achieving by the end of 2021:
- Award entries across the award ceremonies to comprise 50% gender, 30% black, Asian and ethnic minority, 10% creators with disability and avoidance of London-centric representation.
- Award nominees across the award ceremonies to comprise 50% gender, 30% black, Asian and ethnic minority, 10% creators with disability and avoidance of London-centric representation.
9. By the end of 2021 to annually publish data on the diversity of award entries, judges, nominations and winners of awards.
10. By the end of 2021 to have reviewed the Award Access Guidelines seeking input from music creators and industry organisations.
11. By the end of 2021 to have increased the diversity of award audience attendance.
12. By the end of 2021 to have established long-term partnerships with socially-engaged organisations, in association with The Ivors Academy Trust that supports the Academy to address areas that have a diversity-deficit.